It is amazing to realize what strong emotions China awake in some people.
- Lou Dobbs has come completely mad on the subject by talking about a Red Storm, which just betrays his own views on anything modern and his fears of globalization. Others are talking about the increasing power of China and the fact that its economy is growing a quicker pace than the one of the US.
- I believe that the views of China are so schizophrenic and so motivated by fear and paranoia that there isn't really a constructive debate on the relationship between China and the US or China and the rest of the world anymore.
- The unfortunate thing about the visit of the Chinese president is that it will no lead to anything constructive because the Bush administration for political reasons is going to ask for too much (the devaluation of the Yuan, support on Iran, trade issues) and the Chinese also for the same reason are going to give up much.
- I wonder whether the mindset that the US is limiting its options when it comes to China since it forces it to focus on what the Chinese are doing to catch up with them rather than on what it should do to remain on top.
- For more on the views of China, there is an interesting post the China law Blog.